- Sen. Murphy tweeted "Russia delivered this system to Turkey 16 MONTHS AGO and Pompeo has repeatedly refused to initiate sanctions. Basically, Turkey got away with it.
Now, 30 days before Biden takes office, Pompeo suddenly changes his mind, with huge ramifications for Biden's foreign policy.|Despite our warnings, Turkey moved ahead with its purchase and testing of the S-400 system from Russia. Todays sanctions on Turkey's SSB demonstrates the U.S. will fully implement #CAATSA. We will not tolerate significant transactions with Russia's defense sector." View the tweet here. 11/08/20
- Sen. Murphy tweeted "5/ Russia and Turkey will also be watching. In Donbass, one aggressive move by Russian forces could destabilize the contact line. In the Armenia/Azerbaijan conflict, a distracted U.S. might be unable to prevent a dangerous escalation by Turkey or Russia." View the tweet here. 04/24/20
- Sen. Murphy tweeted "While Turkey gets ready to release 90,000 prisoners because of COVID-19, thousands of political prisoners remain detained. That's unacceptable." View the tweet here. 02/05/20
- Sen. Murphy tweeted "5/ And then it got worse. Turkey, UAE, and India, in league with Russia, sided against the U.S. and constructed a means for Maduro to avoid sanctions. A nuclear meltdown of American diplomacy - the nations that mattered on sanctions were either neutral or actively undermining us." View the tweet here. 02/05/20
- Sen. Murphy tweeted "9/ Today, Venezuela is becoming a second Cuba. Guaido is not in charge, but we pretend he is. Maduro has China/Russia/Cuba/India/UAE/Turkey on his side, and he is growing stronger by the day. In the end, Trump was the best thing that ever happened to Maduro." View the tweet here. 01/20/20
- Sen. Murphy tweeted "10/ SYRIA: Trump engaged in one of the most abominable acts of double cross in the history of the presidency. We asked the Kurds to fight ISIS for us, we promised to protect them, and then we stabbed them in the back by inviting the Turkish army to march in and destroy them." View the tweet here. 01/20/20
- Sen. Murphy tweeted "14/ HUMAN RIGHTS: In Turkey, Egypt, the Philippines, China and elsewhere, dictators are racking up stunning records of human rights abuses because they know that under President Trump, America will raise no protest. Weve disappeared from the human rights playing field" View the tweet here. 11/13/19
- Sen. Murphy tweeted "Lets be clear - Trump is inviting Republican Senators to meet with Erdogan so he can check the I was tough with Erdogan box without getting tough himself. So Erdogan just has to sit through a little light criticism and then its back to getting whatever he wants from Trump." View the tweet here. 10/15/19
- Sen. Murphy posted the following to Facebook: "Everyone is acting like blanket sanctions on Turkey are the easy answer to wind back the clock in Syria, but they're not. The nightmare scenario Trump precipitated is already playing out in real time." View the Facebook post here. 10/13/19
- Sen. Murphy posted the following to Facebook: "Despite what President Trump says, the U.S. has not actually pulled all of our troops out of Syria. We just abandoned our partners, allowing them to get slaughtered by Turkey and jeopardizing our work to beat back ISIS." View the Facebook post here. 10/09/19
- Sen. Murphy posted the following to Facebook: "Trump's decision to abandon our Kurdish partners and stand aside while Turkey invades northeastern Syria is a humanitarian and national security disaster. This move benefits ISIS, makes America less safe and leaves millions of Syrian civilians caught in the crosshairs. This isn't the first time Trump made a deal with a country where he has big business interests over the objections of his own national security advisors." View the Facebook post here. 08/05/19
- Sen. Murphy tweeted "If Turkey invades Syria, it will be a massive diplomatic failure for the Trump Administration. Scores of lives will be lost. But you could see this coming a mile away as Trump has played this nonsensical hot/cold game w Erdogan for years." View the tweet here.