- Rep. Speier posted the following to Facebook: "As we mark the solemn 106th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide, President Biden's milestone recognition of the genocide for what it was sends a clear message to those who would try to erase history: despite their best efforts, they will never be successful. Healing and reconciliation requires a truthful acknowledgment of the past, however dark it may be. For far too long, the global Armenian community has been denied this healing. The U.S. recognition comes at a pivotal moment and sends an important message to would-be perpetrators as history risks repeating itself with Azerbaijan's destruction of Armenian cultural and religious sites in Artsakh.
My mother would be proud to see this day come. I still remember the sadness in her eyes as she described the horrors of the Armenian Genocide that began on this date in 1915. It is a tragedy that I feel deeply in my own family history as do Armenians across the world. I'm proud to have co-led the resolution to recognize the genocide each year, which culminated in two historic votes in the House and Senate last Congress. It is some comfort to now be able to say that the official position of the U.S. government is that the Armenian Genocide occurred. It is that tragic, and that simple.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/24/us/politics/biden-genocide-armenia-turkey.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes" View the Facebook post here. 04/24/21
- Rep. Speier tweeted "I applaud @POTUS's recognition of the #ArmenianGenocide for what for what it was - the first genocide of the 20st century. After co-leading the resolution for recognition, I'm proud that the U.S. now speaks with one voice to acknowledge the genocide of the Armenian people.|Breaking News: President Joe Biden said the U.S. views the killing of 1.5 million Armenians over 100 years ago as a genocide, raising tensions with Turkey, a NATO ally. https://nyti.ms/3njNg7u" View the tweet here. 04/24/21
- Rep. Speier tweeted "The systematic campaign by the Ottoman Turks to murder 1.5 million Armenians was & is unspeakable. This historic recognition comes at a pivotal time as history risks being repeated with the destruction of cultural & religious sites in Artsakh. We cannot allow it to happen again." View the tweet here. 04/16/21
- Rep. Speier tweeted "This is grotesque and appalling. Azerbaijans latest display is a sickening theme park featuring caricature wax figures of dying Armenians and showcasing helmets of deceased soldiers.|In reviewing social media on the comically evil new Azeri theme park of dead Armenians, @JAMnewsCaucasus found that 'the absolute majority of Azerbaijani society was very enthusiastic' about it. https://jam-news.net/war-trophies-park-in-baku-sparks-controversy-domestically-and-abroad/
" View the tweet here. 04/16/21
- Rep. Speier tweeted "Aliyev continues to foment ethnic hatred and rabid nationalism. The U.S. must make it clear we stand against this, starting by supporting Artsakhs independence and freezing aid to Azerbaijan. My heart aches for the POWs still held by Azerbaijan and I fear for their safety." View the tweet here. 04/15/21
- Rep. Speier posted the following to Facebook: "Azerbaijan holds 200 Armenian POWs, subjecting many to horrific abuse. The U.S. must insist that it release all POWs now. Shockingly, the U.S. sent Azerbaijan $100m in assistance while Armenia received $0. The U.S. must return to parity in assistance to Armenia & Azerbaijan!
Today, I pressed @DeptofDefense on this disparity. The answer wasn't sufficient violence and instability are not in U.S. interests. We cannot reward Azerbaijan for its all-out assault and enable further violence against the Armenian people.
You can watch my line of questioning here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW9HbKl24Ns&t=3582s" View the Facebook post here. 04/15/21
- Rep. Speier tweeted "Azerbaijan holds 200 Armenian POWs, subjecting many to horrific abuse. The U.S. must insist that it release all POWs now. Shockingly, the U.S. sent Azerbaijan $100m in assistance while Armenia received $0. The U.S. must return to parity in assistance to Armenia & Azerbaijan!" View the tweet here. 04/15/21
- Rep. Speier tweeted "Today I pressed @DeptofDefense on this disparity. The answer wasn't sufficient violence & instability are not in U.S. interests. We cannot reward Azerbaijan for its all-out assault & enable further violence against the Armenian people. Watch it here:" View the tweet here.